CE 2071 REPAIR AND REHABILITATION OF STRUCTURES L T P C
3 0 0 3
To get the knowledge on quality of concrete, durability aspects, causes of deterioration,
assessment of distressed structures, repairing of structures and demolition procedures.
UNIT I MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR STRATEGIES 9
Maintenance, repair and rehabilitation, Facets of Maintenance, importance of Maintenance
various aspects of Inspection, Assessment procedure for evaluating a damaged structure,
causes of deterioration
UNIT II SERVICEABILITY AND DURABILITY OF CONCRETE 11
Quality assurance for concrete construction concrete properties- strength, permeability, thermal
properties and cracking. - Effects due to climate, temperature, chemicals, corrosion - design
and construction errors - Effects of cover thickness and cracking
UNIT III MATERIALS FOR REPAIR 9
Special concretes and mortar, concrete chemicals, special elements for accelerated strength
gain, Expansive cement, polymer concrete, sulphur infiltrated concrete, ferro cement, Fibre
UNIT IV TECHNIQUES FOR REPAIR AND DEMOLITION 8
Rust eliminators and polymers coating for rebars during repair, foamed concrete, mortar and dry
pack, vacuum concrete, Gunite and Shotcrete, Epoxy injection, Mortar repair for cracks, shoring
and underpinning. Methods of corrosion protection, corrosion inhibitors, corrosion resistant
steels, coatings and cathodic protection. Engineered demolition techniques for dilapidated
structures - case studies.
UNIT V REPAIRS, REHABILITATION AND RETROFITTING OF STRUCTURES 8
Repairs to overcome low member strength, Deflection, Cracking, Chemical disruption,
weathering corrosion, wear, fire, leakage and marine exposure.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Denison Campbell, Allen and Harold Roper, Concrete Structures, Materials,
Maintenance and Repair, Longman Scientific and Technical UK, 1991.
2. R.T.Allen and S.C.Edwards, Repair of Concrete Structures, Blakie and Sons, UK, 1987
1. M.S.Shetty, Concrete Technology - Theory and Practice, S.Chand and Company, New
2. Santhakumar, A.R., Training Course notes on Damage Assessment and repair in Low
Cost Housing , "RHDC-NBO" Anna University, July 1992.
3. Raikar, R.N., Learning from failures - Deficiencies in Design, Construction and Service -
R&D Centre (SDCPL), Raikar Bhavan, Bombay, 1987.
4. N.Palaniappan, Estate Management, Anna Institute of Management, Chennai, 1992.
5. Lakshmipathy, M. etal. Lecture notes of Workshop on "Repairs and Rehabilitation of
Structures", 29 - 30th October 1999.s